What snacks can I have on the keto diet? I’m fine when it comes to meals, but snacks seem to be a little more tricky and tend to be loaded with carbs. Please provide specific low-carb snacks.
– Jessica S.
Thanks for reaching out with your question. One of the side effects of the keto diet is a decrease in hunger. However, like any eating pattern, it’s important to plan ahead and have snacks prepared for when hunger strikes! Since you have to be more mindful of macronutrient amounts on the keto diet, consider snacks that are high in fat and low in carbohydrates.
Lowest Carb Snacks
Here are some of the lowest carb snack options and their macronutrient breakdowns!
- Pork rinds: 0g net C, 5g F, 9g P (per 0.5 oz)
- Celery: 1g net C, 0g F, <1g P (per cup)
- Olives: 1g net C, 3g F, .25g P (per oz)
- Brazil nuts: 1g net C, 10g F, 2g P (per 6 nuts)
- Sardines in oil: 0g net C, 10g F, 22g P (per 3.75 oz)
- Full-fat string cheese: 0g net C, 6g F, 7g P (per stick)
- Hard-boiled egg: 0.5g net C, 5g F, 6g P (per egg)
- Seaweed snacks: 0-1g net C, 3g F, 1g P (per ½ pack)
- Sugar-free beef jerky: 0.5g net C, <1g F, 6g P (per oz)
- Nitrate-free deli meat: 1g net C, <1g F, 5g P (per oz)
- Laughing cow cheese (full-fat cheese): 1g net C, 4g F, 2g P (per wedge)
- Avocados: 2g net C, 14g F, 2g P (per ½ avocado)
In addition to being solid standalone keto snacks, many of these low-carb options can be combined into fruit bowls, vegetable platters or trail mix!
- Cucumber: 2g net C, 0g F, 0g P (per ½ cup)
- Zucchini: 3g net C, 0g F, 1.5g P (per cup)
- Broccoli: 4g net C, 0g F, 2g P (per cup)
- Cauliflower: 3g net C, 0g F, 2g P (per cup)
- Green peppers: 4g net C, 0g F, 1g P (per cup)
- Almonds: 3g net C, 14g F, 6g P (per oz)
- Pecans: 1g net C, 20g F, 2g P (per oz)
- Walnuts: 2g net C, 18g F, 4g P (per oz)
- Raspberries: 6g net C, <1g F, 1g P (per cup)
- Blackberries: 6g net C, <1g F, 1g P (per cup)
- Macadamia nuts: 2g net C, 21g F, 2g P (per oz)
When it comes to snacking, it’s important to be prepared at all times. That way you won’t simply grab whatever is closest and potentially kick yourself out of ketosis. Luckily, there is a wide variety of nutritious low-carb snacks that can be included in a keto diet while still allowing you to remain within your individual carb range.